Makō

Makō

Whare Tupuna: Makō

Our whare tupuna is named after our distinguished ancestor Makō Hakirikiri. His was a major contribution to the success of Ngāti Kurī in the vitally important first phase of the migration of Te Wai Pounamu and beyond. Before 1855, our marae was situated upon the hill close to our present-day urupā (cemetery) presumably with a view over the valley and lake to the ocean. The first of 4 buildings at the present site was opened in 1855; all have been built upon the same footprint and all have been named Makō. The present whare was opened on November 1st 2008 by Maurice Gray and Naomi Bunker.

Tāhuhu Kōrero: A Historical Perspective

Whare Kai: Te Rōpūake

Tangatahara